Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Still no sleep, but I've got Japanese Soap Operas to Watch

5:10 am, Monday

I have been awake for about two hours now, watching television and rehydrating myself. I got into tokyo last night
around 7, went through customs and got on a bus to the hotel with about thirty other people that also missed their
connections. The hotel is really swanky-- I can't imagine getting a voucher for a place like this in america.
I checked in and took my backpack up to my room, falling on the bed and letting out fifteen hours worth of dicomfort.
I was really tired, and felt very weird, like my body had been dropped into another dimension or something. I couldn't
believe I was on a new continent, in a place I had always dreamed of going. They had given me two meal vouchers so I
went down to the restuarant to see what it was like. I wasn't hungry at all, just very curious. I ended up eating
some rice and sushi, and a gross onion soup that tasted like it was made with a powder. After dinner I sauntered
around the hotel, scoping things out. I came up to my room and cracked one of the sapporos my mini fridge is
fortuitously stocked with, watched some BBC news, and passed out. And here I lay, at 5:17 in the morning, eating
ramen noodles and more sapporo, watching more BBC. My body has no idea what time it is. I feel like it could be
evening, or morning, or the middle of the day. No way to tell. I'm just so relieved to be here, and to have that
mammoth plane ride over with. I thought I was going to die on that thing.
I really wish I were in the actual city, so that I could go out and explore, versus being out here in the suburbs by
the airport. Oh well...I'll be able to visit tokyo soon enough. I am so excited to go to busan this afternoon.
I miss all of you and I will talk to you soon.
Love, Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment